Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Dad's birth experience and perspective-Part 1

A Dad's birth experience, Written By Lyle Johnson B.Comm and father of 3 wonderful boys

Home Births Part 1 -Home births and midwives were common in North America until this past century.  Over time, it became more and more uncommon to give birth to your baby at home with the assistance of midwives over the past several decades with “advancements” in modern medicine.  This trend seems to be reversing as more and more couples are realizing the safety and benefits of a natural birth. Over the next several segments, I will be discussing my experience as a father of 3 boys brought into this world via midwife-assisted water births.
My Background - I was born in a hospital and raised in a large family on a small farm in northern Alberta. Before adulthood, my experience with alternative medicine and natural health products was very limited. As a child, I suffered from tonsillitis constantly and the penicillin that I ingested to fight the infection never seemed to work. Like many families then and now, we trusted what our M.D. told us and did not explore alternative and natural ways of healing. Even though our family was receptive to chiropractic, my knowledge of it was limited to the fact that chiropractors only helped you fix your back – I now know that chiropractic does so much more even starting prior to birth. My experience with home births gave me a much better understanding of the natural way of health and chiropractic. Stay tuned for the following segments explaining our home births.
Lyle is husband to Dr. Joelle Johnson at Family First Chiropractic and wellness located at 142 Erickson Drive, Red Deer 403-347-3261 www.family1stchiro.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment