Tuesday, February 28, 2017
My Alma Mater, Palmer College of Chiropractic, just released an important report on Chiropractic.
As you can see Chiropractic gets extremely high satisfaction rates across the board. If you or a loved one have never been or haven’t been in a while for a Chiropractic treatment-now is the time! Don’t wait until small problems become big ones.
Feel free to share this with family and friends so they can benefit from Chiropractic treatment.
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Have you been up all night? Does your child not sleep well? Take them to a pediatric chiropractor!
As a chiropractor that treats children I often get asked if adjustments will help with the child’s or babies sleep- my answer is YES! ABSOLUTELY. Research suggests that pediatric sleep disorders contribute to attention deficit disorders, hyperactivity, mood disturbances, memory problems an much more.
Chiropractic care for children includes gentle manual therapy to the muscles and joints in the spine.
Imbalances of the spine can occur in utero (malposition of the baby), during childbirth, from tumbles or falls, normal development such as learning how to sit or from other daily activities. The purpose of a chiropractic adjustment is not to treat a sleep disturbance but to help restore normal functioning to the nervous system so the body can function optimally. The removal of the nerve interference allows normal function to the body, thus allowing for reduced stressors causing the sleep disturbances.
When we adjust your child’s spine we are balancing the parasympathetic (your feed and breed) with the over stimulated sympathetic nervous system (fight, flight and freeze). Many children often have irregular bowel movements, this problem may cause sleep disturbances and chiropractic adjustments will help regulate their bowel movements as well. I will often recommend some homeopathic remedies and/or supplements/tinctures in severe cases such as night terrors or nightmares. Every child is unique and so are the chiropractic treatments for them.
A study published in the March 2008 issue of Journal of Clinical Chiropractic Pediatrics (JCCP), showed that infants sleep better when under chiropractic care. The study was of 117 infants who were brought in for chiropractic care. “The pilot study into the issue of sleep problems in children showed significant improvements in time taken to fall asleep, number of consecutive hours of sleep and depth and quality of sleep for children during a short course of chiropractic care. “
If you are a searching for a natural solution to sleep problems for your child then Chiropractic care is a drug free, low risk and is a great option!
Dr. Joelle Johnson is a member of the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association since 2001 www.icpa4kids.com
1. Gozal D, Keirandish-Gozal L. Neurocognitive and behavioral morbidity in children with sleep disorders. Curr Opin Pulm Med, 2007;13(6):505-9.)
Dr. Joelle Johnson Bsc, DC, Webster Certified and a member of the ICPA since 2001. To book an appointment or to find out more about Dr. Johnson at Family First chiropractic and Wellness call 403-347-3261 or www.family1stchiro.ca. 142 Erickson Drive in Red Deer, T4R 3B3
Labels: 142 Erickson DR, babies and chiropractic, baby adjustments, Dr Elton Clemence, Dr. Joelle Johnson, Dr. Stephen Kelly, Family 1st Chiropractic, kids, newborns, sleep, sleep issues
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Exercise should be enjoyed not painful.
Working out for personal gain or overall health and wellness can be rewarding. However, over training or over stretching can lead to injury. This is anything but gain or healthy, instead it creates setback or even take you out of training completely. There is no need to suffer to the point of disliking the workout or dreading the next one. I agree we need to push ourselves to overcome fitness plateaus, but exercise should be less about pain and more about fun.
Here are some tips to make your workouts more enjoyable:
- Choose a fitness program you like and can fit your schedule- You have the option to choose your fitness path. With so many styles of training and workout programs one can choose and personalize their own training programs to suit their goals. Programs that focus on core and strength training are recommended.
- Focus on a balanced Lifestyle - It’s good to be determined in achieving your goals. However, becoming obsessed with your workouts can leave you drained and even injured.
- Change your mindset - Exercise is about personal well-being, which is body and mind fitness. Unnecessary mental stress to get fit leads to being counterproductive. Attitude should be towards making it a fulfilling journey and not being a serious no fun policy.
- Inspire to confidence - Seeing changes in your mind and body should be an inspirational thought, which adds confidence.
Avoiding pain and injury during your workout:
No pain no gain motto should not lead to injury and/or take you out of the fitness program altogether. So here are some guidelines to help you avoid injury.
- Warm up before your workouts and cool down after - It’s best to do light cardio before stretching then stretch. Stretching without warming up could lead to injury. More intense workouts should end with a cool down consisting of light cardio and then end with stretching.
- Use logic and listen to your body - Don’t run before you can walk. Going from inactivity to strenuous exercise could lead to injury. It’s healthy to be competitive and have enthusiasm to achieve fitness goals. However, it’s more effective to learn how to exercises properly and consistently. Finally, listen to your body: If it hurts Stop. Pushing through pain again can lead to injury and takes the fun out of your fitness journey.
Talk to the experts. They can help you start your workout program, guide you to work out properly and most importantly help you to achieve your personal goals. In addition, use your Chiropractor to help you get the most out of your exercise regime.
Dr. Elton Clemence is a Chiropractor at Family First Chiropractic and Wellness, located In Red Deer, AB 142 Erickson Dr ,www.family1stchiro.ca 403-347-3261 to book an appointment.
Tuesday, February 07, 2017
CranioSacral Therapy and Women
One of the greatest benefits of CranioSacral therapy is its effectiveness in dealing with the many natural cycles, conditions and related complications that we women go through as we journey through life.
Conditions such as:
· Attempting to get pregnant.
· Pregnancy and birth complications.
· Infant and toddler care and nurturing.
· Conditions attached to later in life.
It is also in the area of Women's Health that conventional medicine and complementary health approaches are often found working side-by-side.
It is interesting to note that I notice the following:
- The majority of people who make health decisions in the households tend to be the women (booking children, husbands for treatments).
- While women are very happy to put enormous time and energy into looking after others (their unborn children when pregnant, baby infants, toddlers, children, Husbands/partners) - they seem to put themselves last in line when it comes to good old preventative and early treatment of many ailments!
I feel it is important for women to learn to take better care of themselves.
Working with CranioSacral Therapy myself over the last number of years has helped me to get more in touch with my own natural health rhythm - and I have found that while many of my female clients may have come for a specific ailment - over time they start to listen more to their own body and learn just what it needs to get back to health and stay there for the long term.
Jeannette Raskin practices at Family First Chiropractic, 142 Erickson Drive, Red Deer, Alberta. 403-347-3261. www.family1stchiro.ca.
Labels: 142 Erickson DR, Cranio, craniosacral therapy, CST, Dr Stephen Kelly, Dr. Elton Clemence, Dr. Joelle Johnson, Family 1st Chiropractic, Guy Lacoursierie, Jeannette Raskin, women and CranioSacral therapy